Where the men are naked

Charcoal, coloured chalk, sketchpads, a fun environment and a naked man.
What more could you possibly want?

Saturday 19 March 2011

The show must go on

My most recent class started off badly and I had to open up with apologies to the girls.  My scheduled tutor had to deal with a family emergency at the last minute and I couldn't locate another one at such short notice.  So I had to run the entire class by myself.  They were all very nice about it, but I couldn't help feeling particularly bad at the end when the group pictures were being taken.  That's normally the tutor's job.

Apart from that it went pretty smoothly, though.  It was, as usual, a fun class.  Without the tutor, I couldn't hide outside and wait to be introduced, but the girl who had booked me had already told me that there was no need for the surprise introduction anyway, so that wasn't an issue.  Instead I set up the room, then waited for everybody to arrive.

It's not the easiest job when I have to carry two roles, but I think I managed it OK.  I kicked off with a new challenge - one that I think I'll probably incorporate into future classes.  I challenged the girls to draw something purely from their imaginations, then tear out the pictures and pick out the most popular suggestion.  This would form the first pose.  One of them was exceptionally obscene and I posed for a photograph with the girl who had drawn it, but quietly discounted it as an option.

Every group is different - this is one of the things I love about this job.  Some groups will shyly ask me some questions, but will warn me that the questions might be "a little cheeky" first.  Some groups will just launch straight in with no preamble.  This group were curious, but straightforward.  I was asked if I ever got erections at these events and if I groomed prior to every class.  This was clearly a reference to my well-manicured thatch, so I told them about the waxing.  Then, one girl asked me if I pumped myself up prior to a class.  It took me a moment or so to realise that she was referring to my testicles.  Nobody has ever referred to those before, so I can only assume that the waxing has made them appear to be bigger without any hair in the way.  Another good reason to maintain the grooming.

I managed to introduce the various challenges and the class appeared to go very well.  At one point, the lady who booked me posed with me and one of her friends drew something very different from the pose she was presented with.

At the end, the girls only took a dozen or so pictures and I was given the remainder of them.  Whenever I get enough of these pictures, I create a couple of books out of them.  I learned a little Japanese stab-binding last year, so I could present the pictures creatively and I generally start off a class by showing the girls examples of pictures created by previous groups. Anyway, I think I'll combine these with the individual pictures I've been left with at the end of various other classes and get a couple of brand new books out of it.

So... all in all... another fun class, I think.  And once again, I apologise to everybody for the lack of a tutor.





1 comment:

  1. Whoa, that's one of the most awesome Hen Drawing photos I've seen. If only I were brave enough, I'd model for a ladies group ... looks like everyone had a blast, it must be a real rush!

    ReplyDelete


Smoke

I made up a book of some of my pictures. Just in case anyone's interested. It's very expensive, but you can see and buy it at the Blurb website and you can get a preview of it here. Just the first fifteen pages, though. Consider it a teaser.