Where the men are naked

Charcoal, coloured chalk, sketchpads, a fun environment and a naked man.
What more could you possibly want?

Saturday 4 June 2011

Kirkcaldy

I've been warned about the girls in Kirkcaldy before now, but then... I've been warned about the girls in other towns as well.  I have noticed some trends.  Girls from Aberdeenshire and Dundee are both liable to cut loose a bit.  And this is what I anticipated from the girls in Kirkcaldy.  But this was, quite definitely, the rowdiest group of all.

When we got to the bar where the class was being held, I asked one of the bar staff to discreetly locate the event organiser and bring her through to us so that we could discuss the approach.  I asked if anyone was going to be surprised and set about making the arrangements.  Should I be partially dressed or fully nude?  The response was that I should just come out "with everything hanging free".  This was not going to be a class with shy girls involved.

When I first asked for suggestions for a pose, one girl immediately had a response.  Now, normally, when something rude is suggested, I'll know it's a joke - but this time, it had the feeling of a genuine request.  Practically a demand.

My favourite picture was very stylised and as soon as I can get it scanned, I'll post it here.  It was done during the "straight lines" challenge and I came out looking very punky and dynamic looking.  I was so impressed by it, that the girl who drew it gave it to me right away.  I was even more impressed by her later pictures, but didn't want to enthuse about those as well, because I was worried that it would seem like I was soliciting them from her.  So, I want to state here, that I loved all of her pictures.  Her use of the blue chalk really helped add to the overall look of the picture.

I really loved this group.  It was a bit of a challenge to stay in control, but it was a challenge I enjoyed a lot.  They really shook up the status quo and they seemed to really enjoy themselves a lot - and the buzz of it definitely had me on a bit of a high, afterwards.

When it was done, Marta and I went through to the bar and ordered a taxi.  While we were waiting for it to arrive, one of the girls came through and told us that they had all enjoyed themselves a lot.  Feedback like that - especially immediately after the class - felt great.

After that - taxi to the railway station and train back to Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Smoke

I made up a book of some of my pictures. Just in case anyone's interested. It's very expensive, but you can see and buy it at the Blurb website and you can get a preview of it here. Just the first fifteen pages, though. Consider it a teaser.