Where the men are naked

Charcoal, coloured chalk, sketchpads, a fun environment and a naked man.
What more could you possibly want?

Sunday 28 April 2013

Converts

I think I might have inspired a couple of artists to take up naturism, today.  During one of the poses, two of them were talking - and if I interpreted the snippets of overheard conversation properly - they were discussing whether or not to start hanging around naked at home.  I think they shared a flat in London.

Today's art class was at The Standard in Edinburgh - no rushed last-minute trips to Inverness this weekend.  It was relaxed, and fun and I settled into it with no problems at all.  Still a lot of laughs, but very easy.




The girls all arrived perfectly on time and I went through a similar routine to my last Edinburgh class.  I had Edith to help out, but I introduced myself as before, then stepped out of the room "in search of props" as before and walked back in, naked "as before".  The really cool thing about doing it this way is the impact - even if the girls have seen right through the charade and are already anticipating the nudity.  I'm not sure why it's so much fun to be walking about, pretending to be oblivious to my own nudity.  It could be that it's the performance of it.  Either way, it's a great start to the class.  The winner of the first challenge was a great drawing - one that had what looked like a stylised pubic hair depiction, coupled with a "censored" warning.



There were lots of questions about how often I got naked, whether I got naked at home, whether I'd ever been naked publicly, whether I'd call myself a naturist, whether I'd answer my front door naked - stuff like that.  The only difficult question was the naturist one.  I've never really been sure if the term specifically applies to me.  Yes, I like to be naked... but there's an element of exhibitionism and showing off that I think the true naturists disapprove of.  Ultimately, it's just another label and I've never liked labels.


Even when I asked for volunteers, the two girls who were "pressed" into the job seemed to briefly debate whether the other model should be naked as well.  This generally happens anyway - it's a natural bit of banter and not taken too seriously.  But every so often, it seems that the girls actually consider it for a moment.

I dug out the props for that pose.  I keep them in a sort of canvas bag, so it's kind of fun to rummage around inside it and dig them out.  The Dalek wad discarded pretty quickly, this time.  I don't think anyone wanted to have to draw it, so it was rejected.  It's a shame... Scottish Daleks are, after all, notoriously egotistical and like to participate in life drawing classes.

 

 

 

The wrist cuffs were used in two poses.  In one, I wore them on my own, and in the other pose, I was cuffed to the other model.  (That made me think of a film I watched recently.  It was called You instead and it was about two people - musicians who had a personality clash - were handcuffed together at T In The Park.  Sounds like a dire romantic comedy, but in fact it was a really cool indie film with great music.)  The blindfold was also used a couple of times as well.



My classes are often a bit of an ice breaker for these weekends.  The girls meet each other and have a bit of a laugh.  Often, in the larger groups, there are a lot of girls who haven't met each other before, so they're also a chance to interact for the first time.  This weekend, though, it was a small group and I think everybody already knew each other.  That's not unusual, but the interesting thing was that they'd already had a more lively event.  They'd already been to see Dreamboys.  I thought it was funny that they'd been to a live strip show, then gone to something more low key, less raucous and - I think it's fair to say - more intimate.  I think that it usually happens the other way round.  Apparently, they were entertained as much by the antics of the girls in the audience, as they were by the show.  One of them said something about some girls having to be "prised off' the dancers.


Nobody ever needs to be prised off me.  Which definitely means I'm safer in my job than male strippers are in theirs.  And, of course, we all want to be safe at work.  I shouldn't complain, though.  After all, nothing's perfect - and the job's still a lot of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Smoke

I made up a book of some of my pictures. Just in case anyone's interested. It's very expensive, but you can see and buy it at the Blurb website and you can get a preview of it here. Just the first fifteen pages, though. Consider it a teaser.