Where the men are naked

Charcoal, coloured chalk, sketchpads, a fun environment and a naked man.
What more could you possibly want?

Sunday 5 December 2010

Doctor Sketchy's

A day off, and I'm spending it in another artistic environment.  Ever heard of Doctor Sketchy?  Well, if you live in Edinburgh, (and if you can get to the Jazz Bar on Chambers Street in this weather) I definitely recommend you check it out.

Imagine a cross between an art class and a burlesque event... that's sort of what you get here.  Even as I write this, I'm looking at the stage where a tiny, but incredibly cute model (her name is Dolly Tartan) is posing suggestively with a rolling pin and some cream.  She's meant to be Nigella Lawson, about to provocatively lick it clean.  Very nice.

So... OK... it's a sexy girl, rather than a naked man.  A bit of a departure from my usual events.  And you might argue that by promoting women as sex objects, I'm undermining my usual female-empowerment stance... but... well... if you are, then just chill out.  It's all good fun, innit?

(If you're going to use the empowerment argument against me though, then there's a good possibility that you won't accept my very valid and intelligent "chill out" response.  So I'll point out that our tiny, cute, sexy model is not selling her gender out and is not up there to titillate and demean women for the gratification of men.  She is sexual, beautiful and suggestive... and seems to be having an absolutely great time.  Which suggests to me that she is empowering herself and - by extension - her sexuality.)

Anyway, this is a monthly event.  There are prizes for the best drawing and it's a very fun way to spend the occasional Sunday afternoon.  Check out their site and then come along to one of the classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Smoke

I made up a book of some of my pictures. Just in case anyone's interested. It's very expensive, but you can see and buy it at the Blurb website and you can get a preview of it here. Just the first fifteen pages, though. Consider it a teaser.